What did you start with??

Presses, Dies, etc

What did you start with??

Postby gunman42782 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:46 pm

A post on the rugerforum talked about what reloading equipment everybody started out with. My first set up was a Lee hand press. It would work you to death to load up a 100 pistol rounds! Lots of guys started out with the old Lee loaders. I bought a old CH Bear C type press not long after I got started (still have it) and loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds with that one. Still use it some to re-size rifle rounds. About 3 years ago I bought a Lee Turret press, and I have been pretty happy with it, it is a very versatile press. You can use it as a single stage press, if you want, or as a turret. I take the auto indexing thing out of it to re-size, prime with a Lee hand primer, then do the rest with the auto indexing thing back in. Works very well. Just wondering what everybody here started out with?
Life Member of the NRA

The Quiet One

Re: What did you start with??

Postby xlch » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:14 pm

Lee Turret press, still using them, changed to all cast iron Turrets

Postby KS95B40 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:59 pm

I started with an old Texan C press, which I still have mounted to my bench. Then an RCBS Rockchucker, still in use and then added a Lyman T-Mag Turret. I use the Lyman for most of my handgun stuff, plus for rifle and some handgun stuff I have two Rockchuckers and one Reloader Special and then just for depriming, I have an RCBS Partner.

I've always been partial to RCBS equipment, including dies, but I do really like my Lyman T-Mag.

Postby gun salvage » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:45 pm

RCBS Rockchucker starter set then a lyman turet set and then a second lyman.
still use them all .
rcbs 25 years now.and most of my dies are rcbs some lee and horonady

Postby Shawn » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:37 am

Lee 4 hole turret starter set and have used it since. I also have a single stage Lee for de-capping and rifle loading.
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

Postby Dframe » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:15 pm

Started with an old Lee Loader in 45/70. Figured out quickly it was too much work and WAY too slow. Went to a Lyman Spartan single stage for a bit then traded it in for a Lyman Spar-T turret (back in 1968). It's still on my bench and used regularly though the bench now also sports a Dillon.
Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents
Oh My!!

Postby 41 Magnum » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:18 pm

I found an ad in the local newspaper, & went to see "reloading equipment for sale". When I got there, the guy had everything to start reloading, by RCBS. The press is an RCBS Jr., the RCBS scales, powder trickler, 30-06 dies, shell holders, 222 dies, Lyman powder measure, case trimmer & cutter heads, & a de-burring tool, etc.. When I asked the price, he said $35.00. I said, no I meant for everything, & he said $35.00 ! His son had bought him a complete new RCBS Deluxe Rock chucker set, & that he just wanted to get someone else started into reloading. Aside from what I got from him, I've bought a little more stuff as I needed it, but still use everything I originally bought from him, to this day. I do have everything my Dad & I started with, (all Lyman) except a few things I gave to my Son-in-law, to get him started. I currently have every available case reloaded & packed in ammo boxes.

If You are the smartest person in the room, . . . You're in the wrong room !!!

Opinionated Old Fart

Postby Sheepdog » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:09 pm

I started with a Rock Chucker, and stayed with it for about 6 years...then the bottom fell out and I sold it all. I miss it. I loaded .38 and .44 Spl-if I get into it again, I'll load .38 only-and shoot about ten times as much as I have because of it. Lotta relaxing fun.

Grumpy old fart

Postby Tom » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:54 pm

Lee "Tap & Bang" for a .357... then to a Lee 3 hole turret, then a Lee single stage, and finally to a RCBS Rockchucker..I've had it for maybe 12 years or so, maybe longer...
μολὼν λαβέ

Postby KS95B40 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:15 pm

I’ve been using my Rockchuckers for over 30 years, still hard to beat. I’ve always preferrred green.

I imagine one day I’ll get a Dillon progressive just so I can really crank out a large volume of pistol ammo.

So far though my “volume” loading has been on my Lyman T-Mag turret

Return to Reloading Tools