Just a word of warning

Lever Action Rifle Talk

Just a word of warning

Postby gunman42782 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Taking a 92 Rossi (or Winchester) apart is easy. Putting it back not so much! :lol: Even with the help of youtube and a video on it, it took me what seemed like forever to get it back and working properly. I had 3 items I was installing on it, and the only one I needed to put in that I would have had to take it apart was the little bitty ejector spring. I also put in a metal mag follower and a plug for the dreaded safety. Anyway, after much unkind thoughts and muttering under my breath, I got everything back together. :D Now, if I ever get the urge to do that again, please have me committed!
Life Member of the NRA

Grumpy

Re: Just a word of warning

Postby 44s rock » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Sounds like it was a challenge!

Postby gun salvage » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:05 pm

They are fun :D

Postby Shawn » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:13 am

That's what you get. :P
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

Postby deputy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:01 pm

never tore into one...........my biggest mistake in my life was tearing down an old H&R single shot receiver.

i thought......simple action, simple design, few parts.....ought to be a breeze. Well, she sure came apart easy but it went to a smith in a shoe box to put back together............... :lol:
Order without liberty and liberty without order are equally destructive.
Theodore Roosevelt

I'm a Timex watch in a digital age...........

Postby zippo9 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:10 am

I was all hot to disassemble and clean a recently purchased Model 94. until I watched a couple videos. I cleaned and oiled the best I could without disassembly and declared it good. :) :)

Postby Shawn » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:23 am

deputy wrote:never tore into one...........my biggest mistake in my life was tearing down an old H&R single shot receiver.

i thought......simple action, simple design, few parts.....ought to be a breeze. Well, she sure came apart easy but it went to a smith in a shoe box to put back together............... :lol:

:lol: :lol:
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled

Postby deputy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Shawn wrote:
deputy wrote:never tore into one...........my biggest mistake in my life was tearing down an old H&R single shot receiver.

:lol: :lol:

i still cringe when i think back.... :lol: Little did i know that it involved slave pins, special tools, and more importantly someone who knew what they were doing.......

now i have enough sense to just get a can of gun scrubber and blow the heck out of them......followed by some Hornady Dry Lube......
Order without liberty and liberty without order are equally destructive.
Theodore Roosevelt

I'm a Timex watch in a digital age...........

Opinionated Old Fart

Postby Sheepdog » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:37 pm

My Dad was in the hospital for 5 months before he died-and I, being 13+, was home alone in the mornings, went to school in the afternoons. Too much time and no supervision. I'd already learned the ins and outs of Dad's Rem 141 pump .35 but I just couldn't stop there-I thought I'd just take it apart and oil all the insides, then put it back together and back in the box-since he couldn't do it, you know. Well, I got it back together except for the bolt just rattled around in it-no connection. I sweated it from about January till about August, when we'd moved from PA to LA, and I told my huntingest uncle what I'd done. We took it to his house one weekend (because it needed oiling, we said) and he put it back together right. Mom never knew. I learned right there a natural gunsmith I ain't.
Since then, taking the disconnect out of a Browning Hi-power and changing a trigger in a P90 Ruger has been the extent of my adventures-and it'll likely stay that way.

The Quiet One

Postby xlch » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:31 pm

:) :) :)

Postby Shawn » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:05 pm

I rip crap apart and once I realize I'm in over my head, I bug, Danny. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled

Postby gunman42782 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:12 pm

I can usually tear about anything apart and get it back together. If I get frustrated, I take a break and start again later. A friend of mine has a Ruger MK2 that he just field stripped, not completely tore apart, that he got POed and hit with a ball peen hammer! Now it will fire out of battery. He kept it just to remind himself not to ever do that again!
Life Member of the NRA

The Quiet One

Postby xlch » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:08 pm

Thats what I do, let it sit till i feel better about working on it.

Return to Lever Action Rifles